Monday, June 23, 2008

Long Lost Cousin Nat

(F. Bernard Schultz in Hawaii 1940s)

The wonders of the inter net can be a fairly amazing thing. A man in Tennessee becomes interested in his family background when his father passes on so instead of writing a relative or going to the library, he googles the name of his father's father-Frank Bernard Schultz- and in fairly short order arrives right here-writing me for any information I might have. Why? because his grandfather married my grandmother- and left his grandmother to do so.

Here's Nat's story:

"As you know, I didn't know much at all about my grandfather, barely his name. After my father's death, I decided to take a "shot in the dark" and Googled my grandfather's name. Surprisingly, the first link was to a memorial to him from the Mamiya Medical Heritage Center in Hawaii. The article itself talked extensively about his professional history but little about his personal history. At the bottom of that article, though, was a reference to his step-daughter, Mrs. George Cokinos.

After reading that article, I went back to the same Google link pages and came across your blog, giving a Pearl Harbor tribute to your grandmother. Wondering how the name Schultz related to her, I read the article and found that the two of them had been married. Seeing that your last name was the same as the one in the Mamiya article, I decided to take a chance and to introduce myself to you to see if you might know about our family history. I now probably know my grandfather more than my father ever did thanks to a lead that I found on the internet."

In turn I found out that my new (step) cousin, Nat who is about my age, has a son that he will pass this chapter of family history onto as well as some letters and souvenirs from his grandfather's life with our grandmother. And I got a new pen pal.

No comments:

Post a Comment