Monday, December 24, 2012

The ONE quiver ski?

Does it exist? Orisit justthat your available terrain and skiingis limited?



If it does exist what is the single ski ?



Or is it simply the Indian and not the arrow?







I generally owned several pairs of alpine skis when I worked at a ski area. But also generally only skied one pair the majority of the time.Rock skis maybe early season. Beaters they you didn't mind trashing and a decent pair of skis for the rest of the time. When I got a chance to do some heli skiing it didn't take long to figure out most of the guides were on shorterEuro mountaineering skis. Easier to ski in the always changing conditions. But theywere hard to obtain in the early '80s here in the US. That was my introduction into a 2nd pair of skis or the start of a quiver. I thought it more the "right tool" for the job.

I started using the short mountaineering skis for early morning bomb runs and avi control work. They made the work a lot easier. By mid morning I would usually change back to my long boards and enjoy the groomers.

Today on any given day in the winter or springI might ski groomed, face shot powder off piste, 10K vertical gain by foot for a 11K dropor a steep corn gully I have to hike into and maybe hike out of as well when I amdone.

To be honest I ski much more terrain and different snow conditions now than I did guiding and skiing12 months of the year in the distant past. Strange as that might sound.

Different skis for every occasion seems like a good thing :)I have one or two that are good for most things. But nothing I would like to be on every where I am willing to ski now.

But if you have that magical ski you take every where I would love to hear about it!!






No comments:

Post a Comment